Warming Soup Recipes
This is the time of year when it’s often cold and dreary outside, and there’s nothing better than a delicious bowl of soup to warm you up. Did you know that making a pot of soup from scratch is actually very simple to do, and it’s oh, so healthy? Try some of our recipes below and get cooking!
Makes about 8 1-cup servings.
This sweet and creamy soup has just a hint of spiciness. It can also be made with puréed winter squash, yams, or sweet potatoes in place of the pumpkin.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or other sweetener
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups fortified soy- or rice milk
Warm oil in a large pot. Add onion and garlic and cook over medium heat until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add mustard seeds, turmeric, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, and salt and cook 2 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly. Whisk in water or broth, pumpkin, syrup or other sweetener, and lemon juice. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in non-dairy milk. Transfer about 3 cups to a blender and purée until very smooth. Repeat with remaining soup. Be sure to start on low speed and hold lid on tightly. Return to the pot and heat without boiling, until steamy.
Spicy Vegetable Soup with Black Beans
Makes 6 servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine, vegetable stock, or water
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cups sliced fresh okra
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, undrained
- 1 – 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
Braise onion and garlic in 1/2 cup wine, stock, or water until onion is soft. Add tomatoes, 4 cups water or stock, bell pepper, celery, okra, ginger, and seasonings. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Add zucchini and black beans and their liquid. Cover and cook until zucchini is just tender, about 10 minutes. Add soy sauce to taste.
Serve over cooked brown rice.
Curried Parsnip Soup
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 5 cups veg stock or water
- 3 cups sliced parsnips
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup (or other sweetener)
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
- Salt to taste
Heat skillet over medium heat. Add onions and oil. Stir and cook until onions are transparent. Blend in curry powder and cumin, then stir in vegetable stock. Add parsnips and cook on medium heat until soft, about 15 mins.
While parsnips cook, mix lemon juice, sweetener and soy milk. Add to parsnips. Once parsnips are soft, use hand blender to blend mixture to desired consistency. Add cayenne and salt to taste.