You don’t have to give up on the flavors and textures of fish when you go vegan. In addition to vegan seafood products available in the stores, you can make your own. Here are a few recipes to get you started.
Vegan tuna salad
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, low-sodium, drained and rinsed (or 1.5 cups cooked garbanzo beans)
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 cup low fat vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon mustard of choice (optional)
Coarsely chop garbanzo beans in a food processor or mash beans with a potato masher. Do not over process the beans to a smooth consistency, you want it to have some texture. Place beans in a bowl with the remaining ingredients and mix well. Chill.
Note: Mashed tofu or cauliflower could also be used instead of garbanzo beans. Read more